The West Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
A coastal walk: For high, dramatic cliff scenery, choose the Exmoor coast around Lynmouth or the coast around Tintagel. The South West Coast Path is 630 mi long.
Riding or hiking on Dartmoor: Escape to southern England's greatest wilderness—a treeless expanse dotted with rocky outcrops; there are many organized walks and pony-trekking operations.
Seafood in Padstow: Celebrity chef Rick Stein rules the roost in this small, pretty Cornish port, and any of his establishments will strongly satisfy.
Tate St. Ives: There's nowhere better to absorb the local arts scene than this offshoot of London's Tate in the pretty seaside town of St. Ives. A rooftop café claims views over Porthmeor Beach.
A visit to Eden: It's worth the journey west for Cornwall's Eden Project alone: a wonderland of plant life in a former clay pit. Two gigantic geodesic "biomes" are filled with flora.
Wells Cathedral: A perfect example of medieval craftsmanship, the building is a stunning spectacle.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bristol Savings! Book at Redwood & Country Club Fr $113+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Bristol Savings! Book at Bristol Marriott Royal Fr $154+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Book in Bristol: Save this May Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Expedia
- May deal: Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Expedia