- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Castle Drogo Review
Northeast of Chagford, this castle looks like a medieval fortress, complete with battlements, but construction actually took place between 1910 and 1930. Designed by noted architect Sir Edwin Lutyens for Julius Drewe, a wealthy grocer, the castle is only half finished (funds ran out). Inside, this magisterial pile combines medieval grandeur and early-20th-century comforts like the large bathrooms. Between June and September, you can play croquet on the lawn while taking in awesome views over Dartmoor. Take the A30 Exeter-Okehampton road to reach the castle.
- Address: Off A30 and A382, Drewsteignton, EX6 6PB | Map It
- Phone: 01647/433306
- Cost: £8.40; grounds only, £5.30
- Hours: Castle Feb.--early Mar. and early Nov.--mid-Dec., weekends 11--4; early Mar.--early Nov., daily 11--5. Grounds early Mar.--early Nov., daily 9--5:30 or dusk; early Nov.--early Mar., daily 11--4.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Chagford
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Plymouth Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $141+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth Savings! Book at Sydney Guest House Fr $78+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Plymouth Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Bristol Marriott Royal Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- The Washington in May: $91 & Up — $91 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more