- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cotehele House and Quay
Cotehele House and Quay Review
About 4 miles west of Buckland Abbey and 9 miles southwest of Tavistock, Cotehele House and Quay was formerly a busy port on the River Tamar, but it is now usually visited for the well-preserved, atmospheric late-medieval manor, home of the Edgcumbe family for centuries. The house has original furniture, tapestries, embroideries, and armor, and you can also visit the impressive gardens, a quay museum, and a restored mill (usually in operation on Tuesday and Thursday). A limited number of visitors are allowed per day, so arrive early and be prepared to wait during busy periods. Choose a bright day, because the rooms have no electric light. Shops, crafts studios, a gallery, and a restaurant provide other diversions. Take advantage of the shuttle bus that runs every half hour between the house, quay, and mill.
- Address: Off A390, St. Dominick, PL12 6TA | Map It
- Phone: 01579/351346
- Cost: £9; gardens and mill only, £5.40
- Hours: House early Mar.--early Nov., Sat.--Thurs. 11--4. Mill early Mar.--Sept., daily 11--5; Oct--early Nov., daily 11--4:30. Gardens daily dawn--dusk.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Tavistock and Environs
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre in May: $128 & Up Expedia
- Stay 3 night and save 10% off your stay!: The Washington in May Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Bristol Savings! Book at Days Inn Bristol M5 Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Expedia
- Save in Bristol: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
With many thanks to many posters here who commented in my earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-w-6-year-old-in-uk.cfm
I didn't want to disappear into the ether and i wanted to Read more
I am still working on where I want to base us for our trip to southeast UK next spring.
It looks like we will be mostly in "mid" Kent and Sussex (East and West). The rough plan at this time is to go no Read more