- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of Cornwall's greatest country piles, Lanhydrock gives a look into the lives of the upper classes in the 19th century. The former home of the powerful, wealthy Robartes family was originally constructed in the 17th century but was totally rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Its granite exterior remains true to the house's original form, however, and the long picture gallery in the north wing, with its barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling depicting 24 biblical scenes, survived the devastation. A small museum in the north wing shows photographs and letters relating to the family. The house's endless pantries, sculleries, dairies, nurseries, and linen cupboards bear witness to the immense amount of work involved in maintaining this lifestyle. About 900 acres of wooded parkland border the River Fowey, and in spring the gardens present an exquisite ensemble of magnolias, azaleas, and rhododendrons. Allow two hours to see the house and more time to stroll the grounds. The house is 3 miles southeast of Bodmin.
- Address: Off A30, A38, and B3268, Bodmin, PL30 5AD
- Phone: 01208/265950
- Cost: £10.70; grounds only, £6.30
- Hours: House Apr.--Sept., Tues.--Sun. 11--5:30; Mar. and Oct., Tues.--Sun. 11--5; garden daily 10--6; last admission 30 mins before closing.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Bodmin
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Novotel Bristol Centre 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Bristol Marriott Royal Fr $154+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1524 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Marriott Bristol City Centre Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Save with Expedia, $62/night less
- $155 & Up: Westfield House 4-Star Hotel in Bristol — $155 Expedia
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
Never taken an "Alone" trip before but it's about time! Read more