- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Glastonbury Abbey Review
The ruins of this great abbey, in the center of town, are on the site where, according to legend, Joseph of Arimathea built a church in the 1st century. A monastery had certainly been erected here by the 9th century, and the site drew many pilgrims. The ruins are those of the abbey completed in 1524 and destroyed in 1539, during Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries. A sign south of the Lady Chapel marks the sites where Arthur and Guinevere were supposedly buried. The visitor center has a scale model of the abbey as well as carvings and decorations salvaged from the ruins.
- Address: Magdalene St., Glastonbury, BA6 9EL | Map It
- Phone: 01458/832267
- Cost: £6
- Hours: Mar.--May, daily 9--6; June--Aug., daily 9--9; Sept.--Nov., daily 9--5; Dec.--Feb., daily 9--4; last admission 30 mins before closing.
- Website: www.glastonburyabbey.com
- Location: Glastonbury
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Bristol Marriott Royal: $154 & Up in May Expedia
- Bristol Savings! Book at Days Inn Bristol M5 Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Plymouth Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Bristol Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $131+/Nt — $131 Expedia
- Save in Bristol: Book 3 Nts in May at The Bristol Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more