- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Gidleigh Park Review
One of England's foremost country-house hotels, Gidleigh Park occupies an enclave of landscaped gardens and streams. It's reached via a lengthy, winding country lane and private drive at the edge of Dartmoor. The extremely pricey contemporary restaurant, directed by chef Michael Caines, has been showered with culinary awards. You may see why when you dig into the turbot and scallops with leeks, wild mushrooms, and chive butter sauce, one of the choices often on the prix-fixé menus (£40 for two courses at lunch, £105 for three courses in the evening). The locally pumped spring water is like no other. Antiques fill the long, half-timber building, built in 1928 in Tudor style; there are 24 luxurious guest rooms.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bristol Savings! Book at Future Inn Cabot Circus Fr $126+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Bristol this May Fr $162+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1524 Expedia
- Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre in May: $114 & Up — $114 Expedia
- Save in Bristol: Book 3 Nts in May at Westfield House Fr $142+/Nt — $142 Expedia
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
My 17 year old daughter will be flying alone from the US to Munich via London (Heathrow). Read more