- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rail travelers can make use of a fast service connecting Exeter, Plymouth, and Penzance. First Great Western and South West Trains serve the region from London's Paddington and Waterloo stations. Average travel time to Exeter is 2¼ hours, to Plymouth 3¼ hours, and to Penzance about 5¼ hours. Once you've arrived, however, you'll find trains to be of limited use in the West Country, as only a few branch lines leave the main line between Exeter and Penzance.
Regional Rail Rover tickets provide three days' unlimited travel throughout the West Country in any seven-day period, or eight days in any 15-day period; localized Rangers cover Devon or Cornwall.
National Rail Enquiries (0845/748-4950. www.nationalrail.co.uk.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Bristol this May Fr $85+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Future Inn Cabot Circus 3 Nts in May Fr $125+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1547 Expedia
- Save in Bristol: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Book the Hilton Bristol 3 Nts in May Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia