- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tours of Haunted York
Given its storied history, dark streets, and atmospheric buildings, it's no surprise that York feels as if it could be haunted. What might startle you is that York is haunted, at least according to the Ghost Research Foundation International. Because of York's 500 recorded cases of ghostly encounters, the foundation has determined that it is the most haunted city in England, and one of the most haunted in the world.
Not everybody believes in earthbound spirits, but it seems that just about every tour company does. Here are a few options, should you choose to explore the town's spookier side.
Ghost Creeper. This crew runs "bloodcurdling" tours weekend nights from November to late December and March to June, and nightly from July through Halloween. Tours start at 7:30 pm outside the Jorvik Viking Centre and cost £5 per person. York. 07947/325239. www.ghostcreeper.com.
Ghost Hunt. These guides take a slightly tongue-in-cheek approach to the ghouls. The tours start at 7:30 pm nightly in the Shambles and cost £5 per person. York. 01904/608700. www.ghosthunt.co.uk.
Ghost Trail of York. Old hands at exploring the city's spectral species, these guides take a straightforward approach to ghosts—telling you what other people have heard or seen, and what they've seen themselves. The hour-long tours commence at 7:30 pm by the Minster and cost £4 per person. York. 01904/633276. www.ghosttrail.co.uk.
Original Ghost Walk of York. The old-timer of ghost tours, the Original Ghost Walk of York presents the city's ghost tales as fascinating unexplained mysteries. The tours depart at 8 pm from in front of the King's Arms Pub on Ouse Bridge and cost £5 per person. York. 01759/373090. www.theoriginalghostwalkofyork.co.uk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- London and Paris Experience IExplore
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- London Experience — $2,857 IExplore
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises