Shopping in Helsinki
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From large, well-organized malls to closet-size boutiques, Helsinki has shopping for every taste. Most sales staff in the main shopping areas speak English and are helpful. Smaller stores are generally open weekdays 9-6 and Saturday 9-1. Small grocery stores are often open on Sunday year-round; other stores are often open on Sunday from June through August and December. The Forum and Kamppi complexes and Stockmann's department store are open weekdays 9-9, Saturday 9-6, and (in summer and Christmastime) Sunday noon-6. An ever-expanding network of pedestrian tunnels connects the Forum, Stockmann's, and the train-station tunnel.
The area south and west of Mannerheimintie has been branded Design District Helsinki. It includes roughly 170 venues, most of them smaller boutiques and designer-run shops selling handmade everything from jewelry to clothing to homewares. The majority are located on Fredrikinkatu and Annankatu; look for a black Design District Helsinki sticker in the window. You can pick up a map detailing the shops in the district at most participating stores. Kiosks remain open late and on weekends; they sell such basics as milk, juice, camera film, and tissues. Stores in Asematunneli, the train-station tunnel, are open weekdays 10-10 and weekends noon-10.
Browse Helsinki Shopping
Browse Helsinki Shopping By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Holiday Inn Helsinki Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Helsinki Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $241+/Nt Expedia
- Helsinki Savings! Book at Seurahuone Helsinki Fr $284+/Nt — $284 Expedia
- Helka on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $184+/Nt — $184 Expedia
- May deal: Cumulus Hakaniemi Fr $173+/Nt — $173 Expedia