- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Rovaniemi's real claim to fame is that Santa Claus lives in its suburbs, as reflected in the growing number of tourist attractions in the area. The SantaPark Christmas theme park is set deep inside a rocky cavern and offers a Magic Sleigh Ride, a Puppet Circus, and a Christmas Carrousel, among other attractions. Take the Santa Train from the Park to Joulupukin Pajakylä (Santa Claus Village) and stop along the way at the Reindeer Park to see Santa's sleigh team. Sami in native dress and reindeer hauling sleighs enhance the authenticity of the village. (This is likely to be the only place where your children will be able to pet a reindeer—the ones you'll see in the wild are shy.) Postcards can be mailed from the special Arctic Circle post office. There's also a complete souvenir shopping complex, plus the impressive mountains of mail that pour in from children all over the world. And yes, he does answer every letter. The village is closed when he is abroad, on December 25.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Rovaniemi: Save at the City Rovaniemi in May Fr $126+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Rantasipi Pohjanhovi Fr $109+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Explore Rovaniemi For Less! Book Fr $114+/Nt — $114 Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
We just got back from nearly two weeks in Iceland and Scandinavia last night -- and since the fourth cup of coffee is kicking in I thought I'd write up a short trip review. Read more
I am from India and wish to plan a trip to see the northern lights this winter.
We are in the intial stages of planning and need suggestions:
Time of travel : Sep to Dec 13 (can change based on suggestions) Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more