Though not remarkable, Vantaa—the municipality north of Helsinki proper and the home of the international airport—has a few notable attractions. A welcome surplus of open green space and trails for biking, hiking, and running create an oasis for outdoor enthusiasts. Don't miss the 15th-century Helsingin Pitajan Kirkko (Parish Church).
Consider using Vantaa as home base if your trip to Helsinki coincides with a convention and you can't find accommodations there: the airport is within the city's municipal boundaries and easily reached by public transport. The Helsinki Card also works in Vantaa.
Vantaa at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star Hilton Helsinki Strand in Helsinki Fr $233+/Nt Expedia
- Helsinki Savings! Book at Seurahuone Helsinki Fr $284+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Helsinki at Kamp Fr $404+/Nt — $404 Expedia
- May deal: Radisson Blu Royal , Helsinki Fr $209+/Nt — $209 Save with Expedia, $37/night less
- Helsinki Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Klaus K Fr $300+/Nt — $300 Expedia