The Lakelands Travel Guide
Finland is perhaps best known for its lakes, numbering about 188,000, and you don't need to travel far in this region to appreciate their beauty, whether in winter or summer. Almost every lake, big or small, is fringed with tiny cabins. The lake cabin is a Finnish institution, and until the advent of cheap package tours abroad, nearly every Finnish family vacationed in the same way—in its cabin on a lake.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Lakelands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Lakelands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Cumulus Kuopio Fr $151+/Nt Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book 4-Star Rauhalahti Spa Fr $153+/Nt Expedia
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now68° F Clear 60% Humidity May 19, 2013 at 1:50PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
We just got back from nearly two weeks in Iceland and Scandinavia last night -- and since the fourth cup of coffee is kicking in I thought I'd write up a short trip review. Read more