- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
One of the great attractions of the Brittany calendar is the celebration of a religious festival known as a village pardon, replete with banners, saintly statues, a parade, bishops in attendance, women in folk costume, a feast, and hundreds of attendees. The seaside village of Ste-Anne-la-Palud has one of the finest and most authentic age-old pardons in Brittany, held on the last Sunday in August.
Another celebrated pardon is held in early September some 40 km (25 miles) north of Ste-Anne. Pilgrims come from afar to Le Folgoët, 24 km (15 miles) northeast of Brest, to attend the town's ceremonial procession. Many also drink from the Fontaine de Salaün, a fountain behind the church, whose water comes from a spring beneath the altar. The splendid church, known as the Basilique, has a sturdy north tower that serves as a beacon for miles around and, inside, a rare, intricately carved granite rood screen separating the choir and nave.
Ste-Anne-la-Palud at a Glance
Elsewhere in Brittany
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Residence Les Villas Thalassa Dinard in May: $207 & Up Expedia
- 3-Star Escale Oceania Fr $102+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $21/night less
- Save at 4-Star Oceania Quimper: $136 & Up in May — $136 Expedia
- Save $$ in Quimper: Book Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Book 3-Star Mercure Quimper Centre in Quimper Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Expedia