- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Château d'Ancy-le-Franc Review
Built from Sebastiano Serlio's designs, with interior blandishments by Primaticcio, the Château d'Ancy-le-Franc is an important example of Italianism, less for its plain, heavy exterior than for its sumptuous rooms and apartments, many with carved or painted walls and ceilings and original furnishings. Niccolò dell'Abate and other court artists created the magnificent Chambre des Arts (Art Gallery) and other rooms filled with murals depicting the signs of the zodiac, the Battle of Pharsala, and the motif of Diana in Her Bath (much favored by Diane de Poitiers, sister of the Comtesse de Tonnerre). Such grandeur won the approval of no less than the Sun King, Louis XIV, who once stayed in the Salon Bleu (Blue Room).
- Address: 18 Pl. Clermont-Tonnerre, Ancy-le-Franc, 89160 | Map It
- Phone: 03-86-75-14-63
- Cost: Château €9, château and park €13.
- Hours: Apr.--mid-Nov., tours Tues.--Sun. at 10:30, 11:30, 2, 3, 4, and 5; Oct.--mid-Nov., no tour at 5.
- Website: www.chateau-ancy.com
- Location: Ancy-le-Franc
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Dijon Savings! Book at le Jura Fr $151+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Dijon this May Fr $154+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at du Stade Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia
I began planning this wonderful trip last September for my husband and I. Read more
We avoided lines yesterday by taking a combination of RER B and bus 48 to the Parc des Buttes Chaumont. Read more
We had booked Paris Perfect Muscadet in the First for mid September, I got this email today, saying, basically, take it or leave it, we are offering you the Pomerol apartment because your original apartment/building Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more