- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The family resort and spa town of Aix-les-Bains takes advantage of its position on the eastern side of Lac du Bourget, the largest natural freshwater lake in France, with a fashionable lakeshore esplanade.
Although the lake is icy cold, you can sail, fish, play golf and tennis, or picnic on the 25 acres of parkland at the water's edge (try to avoid it on weekends, when it gets really crowded). The main town of Aix is 3 km (2 miles) inland from the lake itself. Its sole reason for being is its thermal waters.
Many small hotels line the streets, and streams of the weary take to the baths each day; in the evening, for a change of pace, they play the slot machines at the casino or attend tea dances.
Aix-les-Bains at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Annecy: Book Fr $131+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $26/night less
- Starting Fr $129: Great Annecy Price Save with Hotels.com, $45/night less
- Sail to Lyon with Uniworld Boutique Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $3,089 Expedia
- Explore Annecy For Less! Book Fr $122+/Nt — $122 Hotels.com
- Super Low Annecy Rate: Book Fr $167+/Nt — $167 Save with Hotels.com, $16/night less