- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Sparkling Annecy is on crystal clear Lac d'Annecy (Annecy Lake), surrounded by snow-tipped peaks. Though the canals, flower-decked bridges, and cobbled pedestrian streets are filled on market days—Tuesday and Friday—with shoppers and tourists, the town is still tranquil.
Does it seem to you that the River Thiou flows backward, that is, out of the lake? You're right: it drains the lake, feeding the town's canals. Most of the Vieille Ville (Old Town) is now a pedestrian zone lined with half-timber houses. Here is where the best restaurants are, so you'll probably be back in the evening.
Annecy at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 5-Star Sofitel Lyon Bellecour Fr $186+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $117/night less
- Lyon Savings! Book at BEST WESTERN Charlemagne Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $3,089 Expedia
- Book in Lyon Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Save with Hotels.com, $11/night less
- May deal: Hilton Lyon Fr $233+/Nt — $233 Expedia