- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Chamonix is the oldest and biggest of the French winter-sports resort towns and was the site of the first Winter Olympics, held in 1924. As a ski resort, however, it has its limitations: the ski areas are spread out, none is very large, and the lower slopes often suffer from poor snow conditions.
On the other hand, some runs are extremely memorable, such as the 20-km (12-mile) run through the Vallée Blanche or the off-trail area of Les Grands Montets. And the situation is getting better: many lifts have been added, improving access to the slopes as well as shortening lift lines. In summer it's a great place for hiking, climbing, and enjoying dazzling views. If you're heading to Italy via the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Chamonix will be your gateway.
Chamonix-Mont-Blanc at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Park&Suites Elegance Lyon Vaise Fr $69+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $30/night less
- Book in Lyon: Save this May Fr $77+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $3,089 Expedia
- Book in Lyon Fr $148+/Nt — $148 Save with Hotels.com, $76/night less
- Save in Lyon: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Save with Expedia, $20/night less