- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The smartest of the Mont Blanc stations, idyllic Alpine Megève is not only a major ski resort but also a chic winter watering hole that draws royalty, celebrities, and fat wallets from all over the world (many will fondly recall Cary Grant bumping into Audrey Hepburn here in the opening scenes of the 1963 thriller Charade).
The après-ski amusements tend to submerge the skiing here, because the slopes are comparatively easy, and beginners and skiers of only modest ability will find Megève more to their liking than Chamonix. This may account for Megève's having one of France's largest ski schools. In summer the town is a popular spot for golfing and hiking.
From Megève the drive along N212 to Albertville goes through the sheer and rocky Gorges d'Arly, one of the prettiest little gorges in the Alps.
Megève at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lyon and the Alps
- Beaujolais Route du Vin
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Residence iere Bioparc 3 Nts in May Fr $87+/Nt Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- Explore Lyon For Less! Book Fr $121+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $80/night less
- Journey on Uniworld Boutique Cruises to Lyon: 7 Nts Fr $3,089 Expedia
- Lyon Savings! Book at Villa Florentine Fr $763+/Nt — $763 Expedia
- Starting Fr $104: Great Lyon Price — $104 Save with Hotels.com, $68/night less