- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Georges Blanc Review
In the village of Vonnas, a simple 19th-century inn with 30 rooms full of antique country furniture doubles as one of the greatest gastronomic addresses in all of Gaul. Poulet de Bresse, truffles, and lobster are just some of the divine dishes featured on the legendary menu created by three-star chef Monsieur Blanc, whose culinary DNA extends back to innkeepers from the French Revolution. He made his mark in the 1980s with a series of cookbooks, notably The Natural Cuisine of Georges Blanc. Today, he serves his traditional-yet-nouvelle delights in a vast dining room, renovated—overly so, some might say—in a stately manner, replete with Louis Treize-style chairs, fireplace, and floral tapestries. Wine connoisseurs will go weak at the knees at the cellar here, overflowing with 130,000 bottles. The guest rooms range from (relatively) simple to luxurious. It's worth the trip from Bourg-en-Bresse, but be sure you bring a well-padded wallet. A block south you can repair to Blanc's cheaper, more casual restaurant, L'Ancienne Auberge, most delightfully set in a 1900s Fabrique de Limonade (soda-water plant) and now festooned with antique bicycles and daguerreotypes.
- Address: Pl. du Marché, 23 km (14 miles) from Bourg-en-Bresse, Vonnas, 01540 | Map It
- Phone: 04-74-50-90-90
- Website: www.georgesblanc.com
- Location: Bourg-en-Bresse
- Reservations essential.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Closed Mon., Tues., and Jan. No lunch Wed., Thurs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Lyon Fr $104+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $62/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Lyon this May Fr $144+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $3,089 Expedia
- 4-Star Novotel Lyon La Part Dieu Fr $125+/Nt — $125 Save with Hotels.com, $82/night less
- Save in Lyon: Book 3 Nts in May at Axotel Perrache Fr $92+/Nt — $92 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
Sometimes things happen that makes one wonder if fate is conspiring against a trip. Read more
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We have rented an apartment on Rue du Cygne in the First. Read more