- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Normandy
Mont-St-Michel: The spire-top silhouette of this mighty offshore mound, dubbed the Marvel of the Occident, is one of the greatest sights in Europe. Get there at high tide, when the water races across the endless sands.
Bayeux: Come not just for the splendor of the tapestry telling how William conquered England, but also for untouched medieval buildings and the beefy, bonnet-top cathedral.
Honfleur: From France's prettiest harbor, lined with beam-fronted houses, you can head to the ravishing wooden church of Ste-Catherine.
Rouen: Sanctified by the memory of Jeanne d'Arc, hallowed by its towering Gothic cathedral (immortalized by Monet), and lined with medieval half-timber houses, Rouen makes a great gateway city to Normandy.
D-Day Beaches: From rocky Omaha to pancake-flat Utah, muse on the stirring deeds of World War II.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Novotel Le Havre Bassin Vauban: $146 & Up in May Expedia
- $90 & Up: Cheap Le Havre Stay Save with Hotels.com, $79/night less
- Book 3-Star Kyriad le Havre Centre in Le Havre Fr $91+/Nt — $91 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Le Havre Centre Bassin du Commerce Fr $114+/Nt — $114 Save with Hotels.com, $55/night less
- Save $$ in Rouen: Book Fr $208+/Nt — $208 Save with Hotels.com, $218/night less