- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Les Arts Décoratifs
Les Arts Décoratifs Review
Sharing a wing of the Musée du Louvre, but with a separate entrance and admission charge, this arts center showcases a stellar array of decorative arts, design, fashion and graphics. Spread across nine floors, the Musée des Arts Décoratif's collection includes altarpieces from the Middle Ages and furnishings from the Italian Renaissance to the present day. There are period rooms reflecting the ages, such as the early 1820s salon of the Duchesse de Berry, who actually lived in the building, plus several rooms reproduced from designer Jeanne Lanvin's 1920s apartment. Don't miss the gilt-and-green velvet bed of the Parisian courtesan who inspired the boudoir in Émile Zola's novel Nana. You can hear Zola's description of it on the free English audioguide, which is highly recommended. The second-floor jewelry gallery is a must-see, and special events are often staged in the Nef (nave).
The center is also home to an exceptional collection of fashion and textiles, advertising posters, films and related objects, which are shown in two rotating temporary exhibitions each year. Le Saut du Loup restaurant, with an outdoor terrace, is an ideal spot for lunch or afternoon tea. A joint ticket is available with the exquisite partner museum, Nissim de Camondo. If you're combining a visit here with the Musée du Louvre, note that the museums close on different days, so don't come on Monday or Tuesday.
- Address: 107 rue de Rivoli, Louvre/Tuileries, Paris, 75001 | Map It
- Phone: 01-44-55-57-50
- Cost: €9.50; €13.50 with Nef temporary exhibits; €12 joint ticket with the Musée Nissim de Camondo
- Hours: Tues.--Sun. 11--6, Thurs. 11--9 during exhibits, closed Mon.
- Website: www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr
- Metro Palais-Royal.
- Location: Around the Louvre
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
I recently returned from a long dreamed of trip to the French Riviera. Read more
Thanks to all who helped in the planning! Read more
I'm traveling alone, looking to spend 2 weeks enjoying the beach and charming surroundings, but having trouble determining whether Ile de Re or Bassin d'Arcachon is better for this. Read more
· News & Features
The bistro scene in Paris is as hot as ever, with endless worthy newcomers to scope out.... Read more
Springtime in Paris is legendary—the stuff of song lyrics, poems, and movie titles.... Read more
Paris is one of the world's most visited cities for good reason—it has more great food, style, history,... Read more