- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Jardin des Plantes (Botanical Gardens)
Jardin des Plantes (Botanical Gardens) Review
Opened in 1640 and once known as the Jardin du Roi (or King's Garden), this sprawling patch of greenery is a neighborhood gem. It's home to several gardens and various museums, all housed in 19th-century buildings whose original architecture blends glass with ornate ironwork. If you have kids, take them to the excellent Grande Galerie de l'Évolution or one of the other natural-history museums here: the Galerie de Paléontologie, stocked with dinosaur and other skeletons, and the Galerie de Minéralogie, laden with rocks and minerals. The botanical and rose gardens are impressive, and plant lovers won't want to miss the towering greenhouses (serre in French). After a five-year renovation, they reopened in 2010 and are filled with one of the world's most extensive collections of tropical and desert flora. If the kids prefer fauna, visit the Ménagerie, a small zoo founded in 1795 whose animals once fed Parisians during the 1870 Prussian siege. The star attractions are Nénette, the grande-dame orangutan from Borneo, her son Tübo, and their swinging friends in the monkey and ape house. If you need a break, there are three kiosk cafés in the Jardin.
- Address: Entrances on Rue Geoffroy-St-Hilaire, Rue Cuvier, Rue de Buffon, and Quai St-Bernard, Latin Quarter, Paris, 75005 | Map It
- Phone: 01-40-79-54-79
- Cost: Museums and zoo €4--€10 (free, 4 and under); greenhouses €6
- Hours: Museums Wed.--Mon. 10--5 or 6. Zoo daily 9--5. Garden daily 8--7 (hours vary by season)
- Website: www.mnhn.fr
- Metro Gare d'Austerlitz, Jussieu.
- Location: The Latin Quarter
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
I recently returned from a long dreamed of trip to the French Riviera. Read more
Thanks to all who helped in the planning! Read more
I'm traveling alone, looking to spend 2 weeks enjoying the beach and charming surroundings, but having trouble determining whether Ile de Re or Bassin d'Arcachon is better for this. Read more
· News & Features
The bistro scene in Paris is as hot as ever, with endless worthy newcomers to scope out.... Read more
Springtime in Paris is legendary—the stuff of song lyrics, poems, and movie titles.... Read more
Paris is one of the world's most visited cities for good reason—it has more great food, style, history,... Read more