- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Making the Most of Your Time
The Quartier Latin is the perfect place to wander sans itinerary, though there is no shortage of sites worth seeing. Shopping here is generally more affordable, though less original, than in other neighborhoods, and there are lots of new- and used-book stores, many of which stock English-language titles. Pick up a picnic at the many food shops along Rue Mouffetard (closed Monday), or head to the open-air market at Place Monge (Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday mornings), then savor your booty on a bench at the Jardin des Plantes. Sip mint tea in the courtyard café at the lovely Grande Mosquée (Mosque) de Paris or take in a terrific view on the roof of the Institut du Monde Arabe (closed Monday). Stroll the hilly streets around the Panthéon on your way to see the treasures at the Musée National du Moyen-Age (closed Tuesday). Finish with a sunset apéritif on one of the barge cafés (open spring to fall) along the Seine, across from Notre-Dame.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off Windstar Cruises