The Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrenees Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrenees Restaurant Reviews
Dining in the regions of the Basque Country is invariably a feast, whether it's seafood, local lamb, or the famous migratory palombes (wood pigeons). Dishes to keep in mind include ttoro (hake stew), pipérade (tomatoes and green peppers cooked in olive oil, and often scrambled eggs), bakalao al pil-pil (cod cooked in oil "al pil-pil"—the bubbling sound the fish makes as it creates its own sauce), marmitako (tuna and potato stew), and zikiro (roast lamb). Home of the eponymous sauce béarnaise, Béarn is also famous for its garbure, thick vegetable soup with confit de canard (preserved duck) and fèves (broad beans).
Civets (stews) made with isard (wild goat) or wild boar are other specialties. La Bigorre and the Hautes-Pyrénées are equally dedicated to garbure, though they may call their version soupe paysanne bigourdane (Bigorran peasant soup) to distinguish it from that of their neighbors. The Basque Coast's traditional fresh seafood is unsurpassable every day of the week except Monday, the fleet having stayed in port on Sunday. The inland Basque Country and upland Béarn is famous for game in fall and winter and lamb in spring. In the Hautes-Pyrénées, the higher altitude makes power dining attractive and thick bean soups and wild-boar stews come into their own.
Browse Basque Country, Gascony, and Hautes-Pyrenees Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $401 & Up: Cheap Biarritz Stay Save with Hotels.com, $162/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Biarritz this May Fr $119+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Biarritz Rate: Book Fr $326+/Nt — $326 Save with Hotels.com, $81/night less
- Book in Biarritz: Save this May Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Biarritz Centre Plaza Fr $175+/Nt — $175 Save with Hotels.com, $29/night less