- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Château de la Treyne
At a Glance
- the château has been sparklingly renovated
- modern amenities like Jacuzzis and minibars
- breakfast and dinner (sans wine) included, but rates are pricey
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Château de la Treyne Review
Certainly the most spectacular château-hotel in the Dordogne, this Relais & Châteaux outpost sits amid Baroque gardens perched over the Dordogne River. Located in Lacave, northwest of Rocamadour, La Treyne was nearly destroyed in the 16th-century Wars of Religion but was reconstructed under Louis XIII. Today the Great Lounge restaurant (no lunch Tuesday-Friday) is a feast of crystal, boiserie, and Louis Treize chairs. Stylish guest rooms range from the stunning Prison Doreé (or "Golden Prison," set atop the castle tower) and the hyper-charming Soleil Levant (the former chapel, now glowing in historic lime and yellow), to a new deluxe suite with gorgeous antiques and views over the river.
- Address: 15 km (9 miles) northwest of Rocamadour and 5 km (3 miles) from Lacave, Lacave, 46200 | Map It
- Phone: 05-65-27-60-60
- Website: www.chateaudelatreyne.com
- Location: Rocamadour
- 12 rooms, 5 suites.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Closed Nov. 15--Dec. 23 and Jan. 3--Mar. 23.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- France: A Taste of Provence IExplore
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- Classic Corsica IExplore
- France: Normandy & Loire Valley Experience — $6,967 IExplore
- France's Loire Valley and Bordeaux Independent Journey — $8,960 IExplore
I recently returned from a long dreamed of trip to the French Riviera. Read more
Thanks to all who helped in the planning! Read more
My husband and I and our 2 closest friends will be taking a retirement trip in 2015. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more