- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche (Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church)
Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche (Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church) Review
A dramatic reminder of World War II's destruction, the ruined bell tower is all that remains of this once massive church, which was completed in 1895 and dedicated to the emperor, Kaiser Wilhelm I. The Hohenzollern dynasty is depicted inside in a gilded mosaic, whose damage, like that of the building, will not be repaired. The exhibition revisits World War II's devastation throughout Europe. On the hour, the tower chimes out a melody composed by the last emperor's great-grandson, the late Prince Louis Ferdinand von Hohenzollern.
In stark contrast to the old bell tower (dubbed the "Hollow Tooth"), which is in sore need of restoration now, are the adjoining Memorial Church and Tower, designed by the noted German architect Egon Eiermann and finished in 1961. These ultramodern octagonal structures, with their myriad honeycomb windows, have nicknames as well: the "Lipstick" and the "Powder Box." Brilliant, blue stained glass designed by Gabriel Loire of Chartres, France dominates the interiors. Church music and organ concerts are presented in the church regularly, which is slated for restoration in the near future.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Germany for Less! Flights to Berlin From 545 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Berlin Savings! Book at Days Inn Berlin West Fr $73+/Nt Save with Expedia, $31/night less
- Book in Berlin: Save at the Hilton - Berlin in May Fr $206+/Nt Expedia
- Unbeatable Price: 4 Nts Tryp Berlin Mitte + Air Fr $921 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $2,706 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
Berlin's new Brandenburg Airport has become an embarrassment for the city, and for Germany as a whole,... Read more
Every year in cities and towns across Europe, you'll find spectacular Christmas markets offering up unique... Read more
Once you've decided to visit Berlin, next you've got to work out which neighborhood to use as home base,... Read more