- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
This busy thoroughfare began as a riding path in the 16th century. The elector Joachim II of Brandenburg used it to travel between his palace on the Spree River and his hunting lodge in the Grunewald. The Kurfürstendamm (Elector's Causeway) was transformed into a major route in the late 19th century, thanks to the initiative of Bismarck, Prussia's Iron Chancellor.
Even in the 1920s, the Ku'damm was still relatively new and by no means elegant; it was fairly far removed from the old heart of the city, Unter den Linden in Mitte. The Ku'damm's prewar fame was due mainly to its rowdy bars and dance halls, as well as the cafés where the cultural avant-garde of Europe gathered. Almost half of its 245 late-19th-century buildings were completely destroyed in the 1940s, and the remaining buildings were damaged to varying degrees. As in most of western Berlin, what you see today is either restored or newly constructed. Many of the 1950s buildings have been replaced by high-rises, in particular at the corner of Joachimstaler Strasse. Although Ku'damm is still known as the best shopping street in Berlin, its establishments have declined in elegance and prestige over the years. Nowadays you'll want to visit just to check it off your list, but few of the mostly down-market chain stores will impress you with their luxury.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Germany for Less! Flights to Berlin From 545 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: Courtyard by Marriott Berlin City Center Fr $127+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Berlin: Save this May Fr $128+/Nt Save with Expedia, $54/night less
- Save at 5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Berlin Fr $1296 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $2,706 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
Berlin's new Brandenburg Airport has become an embarrassment for the city, and for Germany as a whole,... Read more
Every year in cities and towns across Europe, you'll find spectacular Christmas markets offering up unique... Read more
Once you've decided to visit Berlin, next you've got to work out which neighborhood to use as home base,... Read more