- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Karmeliterkloster (Carmelite Monastery)
Karmeliterkloster (Carmelite Monastery) Review
Secularized in 1803, the church contains the Archaeologisches Museum (Archaeological Museum), while the adjacent buildings house the city's Institut für Stadtgeschichte (Institute of History). The basement, titled "Die Schmiere" (The Grease), is a satirical theater.
Main cloister. The main cloister displays the largest religious fresco north of the Alps, a 16th-century representation of Christ's birth and death by Jörg Ratgeb. Free.
- Address: Karmelitergasse 1, Altstadt, Frankfurt, 60311 | Map It
- Phone: 069/2123-5896
- Cost: Museum €6, free last Sat. of month
- Hours: Tues.--Sun. 10 am--5 pm, Wed. 10--8. Closed Mon.
- Website: www.archaeologisches-museum.frankfurt.de
- Metro Willy-Brandt-Platz (U-bahn).
- Location: City Center and Westend
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Frankfurt From 565 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book the Sheraton Frankfurt Congress 3 Nts in May Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $72/night less
- Book Now & Save! Frankfurt Fr $127+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 3.5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Frankfurt Fr $1052 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 6 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $1,648 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I've been daydreaming about Germany, and am trying to come up with a 3-4 day itinerary for a way future summer trip to the Rhine River region, assuming all public transportation (no car rental)
Day 1: Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more