- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Speicherstadt (Warehouse District)
Speicherstadt (Warehouse District) Review
This imposing cluster of massive brick buildings sits along canals near the Elbe and reveals yet another aspect of Hamburg's extraordinary architectural diversity. Once home to tons of cargo imported by Hamburg, today the area is a mix of offices, restaurants, amusements, and warehouses. These warehouses are still used to store and process every conceivable commodity, from coffee and spices to raw silks and handwoven Oriental carpets. An entire residential area was torn down (including many Renaissance and baroque buildings) to store the wares. Today, the area is home to Hamburg Dungeon, a haunted-house attraction; the Miniatur Wunderland, the site of the largest model railway in the world; and a few museums celebrating the area's shipping past.
Speicherstadtmuseum. Although you won't be able to tour the storage spaces, the nonstop comings and goings will give you a good sense of a port at work. If you want to learn about the history and architecture of the old warehouses, detour to the Speicherstadtmuseum St. Annenufer 2, 20457. 040/321-191. www.speicherstadtmuseum.de. €3.50. Apr.-Oct., weekdays 10-5, weekends 10-6; Nov.-Mar., Tues.-Sun. 10-5. U-bahn: Messberg (U-bahn).
- Address: Speicherstadt is bounded by Am Sandtorkai and Brooktorkai and the Elbe River., Speicherstadt, Hamburg, 20457 | Map It
- Phone: 040/3690-1799
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Visitor center: May--Sept., Tues., Wed., and Fri.--Sun. 10--6, Thurs. 10--8
- Website: www.hafencity.com
- U-bahn: Messberg (U-bahn).
- Location: The Harbor and Historic Hamburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hamburg Fr $124+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Book 3-Star Novum in Hamburg Fr $147+/Nt Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Costa Cruises Fr $1,999 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Hamburg this May Fr $229+/Nt — $229 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 10 Nt Cruise! Azamara Club Cruises Fr $3,599 — $3,599 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
We will be traveling by train from Offenburg, Germany to Zurich to catch a flight to Amsterdam. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more