- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Alster (Alster lakes)
Alster (Alster lakes) Review
These twin lakes provide downtown Hamburg with one of its most memorable vistas. The two lakes meet at the Lombardsbrücke and Kennedybrücke (Lombard and Kennedy bridges). The boat landing at the Jungfernstieg, below the Alsterpavillon, is the starting point for lake and canal cruises. Small sailboats and rowboats, hired from yards on the shores of the Alster, are very much a part of the summer scene.
Every Hamburger dreams of living within sight of the Alster, but only the wealthiest can afford it. Some lucky millionaires own the magnificent garden properties around the Alster's perimeter, known as the Millionaire's Coast. But you don't have to be a guest on one of these estates to enjoy the waterfront—the Alster shoreline has 6 km (4 mi) of tree-lined public pathways. Popular among joggers, these trails are a lovely place for a stroll.
- U-bahn: Jungfernstieg (U-bahn).
- Location: Downtown Hamburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hamburg at SIDE Fr $251+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- May deal: Lindner Park- Hagenbeck Fr $213+/Nt Save with Expedia, $53/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,499 Expedia
- Book 4-Star BEST WESTERN Queens Hamburg Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Cunard Line Fr $2,698 — $2,698 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I need a bit of advice regarding a trip this coming September to Amsterdam and Germany. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more