- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
St. Michaelis Kirche (St. Michael's Church)
St. Michaelis Kirche (St. Michael's Church) Review
The Michel, as it's called locally, is Hamburg's principal church and northern Germany's finest baroque-style ecclesiastical building. Constructed between 1649 and 1661 (the tower followed in 1669), it was razed after lightning struck almost a century later. It was rebuilt between 1750 and 1786 in the decorative Nordic baroque style, but was gutted by a terrible fire in 1906. The replica, completed in 1912, was demolished during World War II. The present church is a reconstruction.
The distinctive 436-foot brick-and-iron tower bears the largest tower clock in Germany, 26 feet in diameter. Just above the clock is a viewing platform (accessible by elevator or stairs) that affords a magnificent panorama of the city, the Elbe River, and the Alster lakes. Twice a day, at 10 am and 9 pm (Sunday at noon), a watchman plays a trumpet solo from the tower platform. In the crypt a 30-minute movie about the 1,000-year history of Hamburg and its churches is shown.
For a great view of Hamburg's skyline, head to the clock tower at night. In the evenings you can sip a complimentary soft drink while listening to classical music in a room just below the tower. Usually held from 5:30 pm to 11:00 pm check www.nachtmichel.de or call 040/2851-5791 to confirm times.
- Address: Englische Planke 1, Neustadt, Hamburg, 20459 | Map It
- Phone: 040/376-780
- Cost: Tower €4; crypt and movie €3; show, tower, and crypt €6
- Hours: May--Oct., daily 9--7:30; Nov.--Apr., daily 10--5:30
- Website: www.st-michaelis.de
- U-bahn: Rödingsmarkt (U-bahn), Stadthausbrücke (S-bahn).
- Location: The Harbor and Historic Hamburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Graf Moltke Novum in May: Save 10% off Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- Hamburg Savings! Book at AMEDIA Hamburg Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Hot Deal on a 16 Nt Cruise! Costa Cruises Fr $2,899 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hamburg Fr $194+/Nt — $194 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- $1,368 & Up: See Hamburg with Cunard Line 4 Nts — $1,368 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I need a bit of advice regarding a trip this coming September to Amsterdam and Germany. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more