- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The hottest spots in town are concentrated in the St. Pauli Harbor area on the Reeperbahn thoroughfare and on a little side street known as the Grosse Freiheit (Great Liberty—and that's putting it mildly). In the early '60s a then obscure band called the Beatles polished their live act at the now-demolished Star Club.
The striptease shows are explicit, but a walk through this area is an experience in itself and costs nothing. There are crowds every night but it's especially busy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, when the area pulsates with people determined to have a good time.
There are quiet pubs, crazy bars, and booming dance clubs lining the street where rope makers once worked. On most nights of the week, people move from bar to bar in search of fun. (Although it is legal to drink alcohol in public in Germany, glass bottles are verboten on the Reeperbahn.) Many clubs have either no cover charge or €3 or €4 entrance fees.
Herbertstrasse, a small side street not far from Hans-Albers-Platz begins with a tall red wall warning women and children under 18 not to enter. This is the place to witness department-store-window prostitutes similar to those in Amsterdam or meet women offering their services as they walk down the street. Anyone can walk down any street in Germany but the reception for women and children on Herbertstrasse may not be very warm. Among the attractions in the St. Pauli area are theaters, clubs, music venues, discos, and all kinds of bizarre shops.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Lindner Park- Hagenbeck Fr $213+/Nt Save with Expedia, $53/night less
- Save in Hamburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $112+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,499 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Grand City Berlin in Hamburg Fr $139+/Nt — $139 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Cunard Line Fr $2,698 — $2,698 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I've been daydreaming about Germany, and am trying to come up with a 3-4 day itinerary for a way future summer trip to the Rhine River region, assuming all public transportation (no car rental)
Day 1: Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more