- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Hotel Die Hirschgasse
At a Glance
- terrific view
- very good food in both restaurants
- limited parking
- 15-minute walk to Old Town
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Hotel Die Hirschgasse Review
A stunning castle view marks this historic inn (1472), located across the river opposite Karlstor. Convivial Ernest Kraft and his British wife Allison serve upscale regional specialties (and wines from the vineyard next door) in the Mensurstube ($$-$$$), once a tavern where university students indulged in fencing duels, as mentioned in Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. Beamed ceilings, stone walls, and deep red fabrics make for romantic dining in elegant Le Gourmet ($$$-$$$$). The hotel's decor is also romantic, filled with floral prints, artwork, and deep shades of red. The suites are quite large, comfortable, and elegantly appointed.
- Address: Hirschg. 3, Heidelberg, 69120 | Map It
- Phone: 06221/4540
- Website: www.hirschgasse.de
- Location: Heidelberg
- 20 suites.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Le Gourmet closed 2 wks in early Jan., 2 wks in early Aug., and Sun. and Mon.; Mensurstube closed Sun. No lunch at either restaurant.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Stuttgart: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Book in Stuttgart: Save this May Fr $103+/Nt Expedia
- Stuttgart Savings! Book at Relexa Wald Schatten Fr $118+/Nt — $118 Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Stuttgart Savings! Book at TOP Messe Europe Fr $145+/Nt — $145 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Stuttgart Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I started this topic and somehow lost it. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more