- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Oktoberfest Grounds at Theresienwiese
Oktoberfest Grounds at Theresienwiese Review
The site of Munich's famous Oktoberfest and the winter version of the city's Tollwood music, art, and food festival (it's at the Olympic area in summer) is a 10-minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof, or one stop on the subway (U-4 or U-5). The enormous exhibition ground is named after Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen, who celebrated her marriage to future King Ludwig I here in 1810 with thousands of Münchners. The event was such a success that it became an annual celebration that has now grown into a 16-day international beer and fair-ride bonanza attracting more than 6 million people each year (it is the Oktoberfest because it always ends on the first Sunday in October).
Bavaria. Overlooking the Theresienwiese, home of the Oktoberfest, is a 19th-century hall of fame (Ruhmeshalle) featuring busts of famous Bavarian scientists, artists, engineers, generals, and philosophers, and a monumental bronze statue of the maiden Bavaria. Unsurprisingly, it was commissioned by the art- and architecture-obsessed King Ludwig I, though not finished before his abdication in 1848. The Bavaria is more than 60 feet high and at the time was the largest bronze figure since antiquity. The statue is hollow, and an initial 48 steps take you up to its base. Once inside, there are 66 steps to her knee, and a further 52 all the way into the braided head, the reward being a view of Munich through Bavaria's eyes. €3. Apr.-Oct. 15, daily 9-6 (open till 8 during Oktoberfest).
- Metro Theresienhöhe (U-bahn).
- Location: Outside the Center
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Munich From 585 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Munich Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $210+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Munich this May Fr $295+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Munich Fr $1313 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,669 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I'm in between a few hotels & wanted the opinion of anyone who has stayed or is familiar with any of these properties
1. Read more
· News & Features
It may be too late to book it to Munich for Oktoberfest this year, but this insider's guide to all things... Read more
Spring is in the air and summer vacation is just on the horizon, making it prime time for travel rewards... Read more
Celebrate the 200th anniversary of the German beer garden all summer in Munich.... Read more