- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The Munich Tourist office has two locations. The Hauptbahnhof (main train station) tourist office is open Monday-Saturday 9-8 (in winter 10-6) and Sunday 10-6. The Tourist office in the Rathaus (city hall) is open weekdays 10-8 and Saturday 10-4.
For information on the Bavarian mountain region south of Munich, contact the Tourismusverband München-Oberbayern.
As well as tourist offices, a great way to start your Munich visit is to go to infopoint, in the Alterhof's Kaiserburg, an information center for castles across Bavaria. Here, in a superbly atmospheric vaulted cellar, there are two films (ask for English versions), which combined make a great introduction to any Munich visit. One film is about the city's history, the other about the Alterhof. From Marienplatz, walk 170 meters down the attractive Burgstrasse, through the Alterhof tower. On the right is infopoint. Around 100 meters farther, you'll pass the Münzhof entrance, and another 50 meters is the Residenz Theater, next to the Residenz. Along with the films, this walk is an incredible 350-meter introduction to 1,000 years of Munich history.
Munich Tourist Office—Hauptbahnhof (Hauptbahnhopf, Bahnhofpl. 2, Ludwigvorstadt, Munich, 80335. 089/23396500. www.munich-tourist.de.)
Munich Tourist Office—Rathaus (Marienpl., Neues Rathaus, City Center, Munich, 80331. 089/23396500.)
Tourismusverband München-Oberbayern (Radolfzeller Str. 15, Westkreuz, Aubing, Munich, 81243. 089/8292180. www.bavarian-alps.travel.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Munich From 585 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Visit Munich for Less: Hotels Fr $76+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 4-Star TRYP Muenchen City Center Fr $150+/Nt Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- Munich 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1419 Expedia
- See Munich with Avalon Waterways, 8 Nts Fr $2,669 Expedia