- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
At one time the royal stables, this 16th-century building now houses the Verkehrsmuseum (Transportation Museum), a collection of historic conveyances, including vintage automobiles and engines. The former stable exercise yard, behind the Johanneum and enclosed by elegant Renaissance arcades, was used during the 16th century as an open-air festival ground. A ramp leading up from the courtyard made it possible for royalty to reach the upper story to view the jousting below without having to dismount. More popular even than jousting in those days was Ringelstechen, a risky pursuit in which riders at full gallop had to catch small rings on their lances. Horses and riders often came to grief in the narrow confines of the stable yard.
On the outside wall of the Johanneum is a remarkable example of porcelain art: a 336-foot-long Meissen tile mural of a royal procession. More than 100 members of the royal Saxon house of Wettin, half of them on horseback, are represented on the giant mosaic, known as the "Procession of Princes," which is made of 25,000 porcelain tiles, painted in 1904-07 after a design by Wilhelm Walther. The representations are in chronological order: at 1694, Augustus the Strong's horse is trampling a rose, the symbol of Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation. The Johanneum is reached by steps leading down from the Brühlsche Terrasse.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Dresden: Save at the NH Dresden in May Fr $98+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Dresden Savings! Book at Quality Plaza Dresden Fr $88+/Nt Save with Expedia, $22/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Dresden this May Fr $171+/Nt — $171 Save with Expedia, $42/night less
- $249 & Up: Hilton Dresden 4.5-Star Hotel in Dresden — $249 Save with Expedia, $115/night less
- Book The Westin Bellevue Dresden in May: Advance purchase special — $179 Save with Expedia, $25/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I will be visiting Europe (The Netherlands, Germany, Italy and France) in August and uncertain as how far my rand will go in euro. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more