- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Lutherhaus (Luther's House)
Lutherhaus (Luther's House) Review
Within Lutherhhaus is the Augustinian monastery where Martin Luther lived both as a teacher-monk and later, after the monastery was dissolved, as a married man. Today it's a museum dedicated to Luther and the Reformation. Visitors enter Lutherhaus through a garden and an elegant door with a carved stone frame; it was a gift to Luther from his wife, Katharina von Bora. Be sure to visit the monks' refectory, where works by the painter Lucas Cranach the Elder, Luther's contemporary, are displayed. The room that remains closest to the original is the dark, wood-panel Lutherstube. The Luthers and their six children used it as a living room, study, and meeting place for friends and students. Prints, engravings, paintings, manuscripts, coins, and medals relating to the Reformation and Luther's translation of the Bible into the German vernacular are displayed throughout the house.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Book NH Dresden Altmarkt 3 Nts in May Fr $186+/Nt Save with Expedia, $32/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Dresden Fr $88+/Nt Save with Expedia, $22/night less
- Achat Comfort Dresden on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $95+/Nt — $95 Expedia
- Book in Dresden: Save this May Fr $143+/Nt — $143 Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- May deal: DORMERO Konigshof Dresden Fr $267+/Nt — $267 Save with Expedia, $172/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
We are leaving for Europe this weekend for 19 days and plan to spend time in all of the cities listed.
We have a timeshare in the Salzburg area and plan on staying there either 4 or 5 days depending o Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more