- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
On the A-4 between Dresden and Erfurt lies the picture-perfect, lost-in-time Thuringian village of Schmölln. The town became famous at the end of the 19th as the center of Europe's button trade. Schmölln's industrial ambitions ended with the confiscation of the button industry as war reparations by the Red Army.
Schmölln's medieval Marktplatz, which the city rebuilt after a fire destroyed many of the buildings in 1772, is the largest in central Germany and a protected monument.
Schmölln is also famous for Schmöllner Mutzbraten, a fist-size piece of marinated pork-shoulder, spiced with marjoram and spit-roasted over birch.
Climb the 30-meter-high Ernst-Agnes-Turm, the Eiffel Tower of East Thuringia, for incredible views of the rolling hills surrounding the Sprotte Valley.
Regional and Button Museum. The Regional and Button Museum explores Schmölln's history and culture, while providing a charming insight to the history of the button. Sprotter/Ronneburger Str., Erfurt, D-04626. 034491/7692. www.schmoelln.de. €3. Wed. and Fri. 10-5, weekends 12:30-6.
Hotel Reussischer Hof. The best place to sample this delicacy is the beer garden of the Hotel Reussischer Hof, which is also a good place to spend the night. Gössnitzer Str. 14, Erfurt. 034491/23108. www.hotel-reussischer-hof.de. No credit cards.
- Location: Erfurt
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Leipzig: Book Fr $71+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Save in Leipzig: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $97+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Mercure Leipzig Am Johannisplatz Fr $118+/Nt — $118 Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- $121 & Up: Lindner Leipzig 4-Star Hotel in Leipzig — $121 Expedia
- 4-Star Penta Leipzig Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I've been daydreaming about Germany, and am trying to come up with a 3-4 day itinerary for a way future summer trip to the Rhine River region, assuming all public transportation (no car rental)
Day 1: Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more