- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Thomaskirche (St. Thomas's Church)
Thomaskirche (St. Thomas's Church) Review
Bach was choirmaster at this Gothic church for 27 years, and Martin Luther preached here on Whitsunday 1539, signaling the arrival of Protestantism in Leipzig. Originally the center of a 13th-century monastery, the tall church (rebuilt in the 15th century) now stands by itself. Bach wrote most of his cantatas for the church's famous boys' choir, the Thomanerchor, which was founded in the 13th century; the church continues as the choir's home as well as a center of Bach tradition.
The great music Bach wrote during his Leipzig years commanded little attention in his lifetime, and when he died he was given a simple grave, without a headstone, in the city's Johannisfriedhof (St. John Cemetery). It wasn't until 1894 that an effort was made to find where the great composer lay buried, and after a thorough, macabre search, his coffin was removed to the Johanniskirche. That church was destroyed by Allied bombs in December 1943, and Bach subsequently found his final resting place in the church he would have selected: the Thomaskirche. You can listen to the famous boys' choir during the Motette, a service with a special emphasis on choral music.
Bach's 12 children and the infant Richard Wagner were baptized in the early-17th-century font; Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels also stood before this same font, godfathers to Karl Liebknecht, who grew up to be a revolutionary as well.
In front of the church is a rebuilt memorial for Felix Mendelssohn. The Nazis destroyed the original in front of the Gewandhaus and the current memorial is a result of a Leipzig Citizens Initiative which collected donations and other funds to rebuild it.
- Address: Thomaskirchhof off Grimmaische Str., Leipzig, D--04109 | Map It
- Phone: 0341/222-240
- Cost: Free, Motette €2
- Hours: Daily 9--6; Motette Fri. at 6 pm, Sat. at 3; no Motette during Saxony summer vacation (usually mid-July until the end of August).
- Website: www.thomaskirche.org
- Location: Leipzig
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star Penta Leipzig Fr $135+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Save in Leipzig: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $240+/Nt Expedia
- 4.5-Star Marriott Leipzig Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Hotels.com, $187/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Leipzig Am Johannisplatz Fr $118+/Nt — $118 Save with Hotels.com, $25/night less
- Book in Leipzig: Save at the Astral in May Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I'm in between a few hotels & wanted the opinion of anyone who has stayed or is familiar with any of these properties
1. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more