- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Viking K-D has two luxury cruise ships on the Elbe River. It operates a full program of cruises of up to eight days in length, from mid-April until late October, that go from Hamburg as far as Prague. All the historic cities of Saxony and Thuringia are ports of call—including Dresden, Meissen, Wittenberg, and Dessau.
Weisse Flotte's historic paddle-steam tours depart from and stop in Dresden, Meissen, Pirna, Pillnitz, Königsstein, and Bad Schandau. Besides tours in the Dresden area, boats also go into the Czech Republic. For more information contact the Sächsische Dampfschiffahrt.
In Saxony two historic narrow-gauge trains still operate on a regular schedule. Both the Lössnitzgrundbahn, which connects Ost-Radebeul-Ost and Radeburg, as well as the Weisseritzelbahn, which operates between Freital-Hainsberg and Kurort Kipsdorf, are perfect for taking in some of Saxony's romantic countryside and the Fichtelberg Mountains. A round-trip ticket is between about €7 and €11, depending on the length of the ride. For schedule and information, contact Deutsche Bahn's regional Dresden office.
The famous steam locomotive Harzquerbahn connects Nordhausen-Nord with Wernigerode and Gernerode in the Harz Mountains. The most popular track of this line is the Brockenbahn, a special narrow-gauge train transporting tourists to the top of northern Germany's highest mountain. For schedule and further information, contact the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH.
German Railroad (Deutsche Bahn) (0180/599/6633. www.bahn.de.)
Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH (03943/5580. www.hsb-wr.de.)
Lössnitzgrundbahn (0351/46165-63684. www.loessnitzgrundbahn.de.)
Sächsische Dampfschiffahrt (0351/866-090. www.saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de.)
Weisseritztalbahn (0351/641/2701. www.weisseritztalbahn.de.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Alt-Connewitz Fr $93+/Nt Hotels.com
- Book the Lindner Leipzig 3 Nts in May Fr $121+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Leipzig: Book Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Save with Hotels.com, $30/night less
- Ibis Leipzig West on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $59+/Nt — $59 Expedia
- 4.5-Star Marriott Leipzig Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Hotels.com, $187/night less