Schleswig-Holstein and the Baltic Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Gothic architecture: The historic towns of Lübeck, Wismar, and Stralsund have some of the finest redbrick Gothic architecture in northern Europe. A walk through medieval Stralsund, in particular, is like a trip into the proud past of the powerful Hansetic League.
Rügen: One of the most secluded islands of northern Europe, Rügen is a dreamy Baltic oasis whose endless beaches, soaring chalk cliffs, and quiet pace of life have charmed painters, writers, and artists for centuries.
Schwerin: Nestled in a romantic landscape of lakes, rivers, forests, and marshland, the Mecklenburg state capital and its grand water palace make a great place to relax.
Sylt: Sylt is a windswept outpost in the rough North Sea. Throughout the year, Sylt is home to Germany's jet set, who come here for the tranquillity, the white beaches, the gourmet dining, and the superb hotels.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Ring Birke: $137 & Up in May Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Lubeck this May Fr $106+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Discover Kiel & More: 10 Nts Aboard Costa Cruises Fr $3,409 Expedia
- Book in Lubeck: Save this May Fr $221+/Nt — $221 Expedia
- See Kiel with MSC Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $999 — $999 Expedia