- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The heart of this town, 28 km (17 mi) southwest of Binz, is the Circus, a round central plaza dating back to the early 19th century. The immaculate white buildings surrounding the Circus give the city its nickname, "Weisse Stadt" (White City). In summer the blooming roses in front of the houses (once a requirement by the ruling noble family of Putbus) are truly spectacular.
Rasender Roland. From Putbus you can take a ride on the 90-year-old miniature steam train, which runs 24 km (16 mi) to Göhren, at the southeast corner of Rügen. Trains leave hourly from Göhren to Binz and every two hours from Binz to Putbus; the ride takes 70 minutes one way. Binzer Str. 12, 18581. 038301/8010. www.rasender-roland.de. €20 day ticket. Apr.-Oct., daily 7:48 am-7:46 pm with bi-hourly departures from Putbus. Nov.-Mar., daily 7:48 am-5:44 pm with departures every 2 hrs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Kiel: Save at the Ring Birke in May Fr $137+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Nordic Luebecker Hof: $106 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- See Europe & More: 10 Nts Aboard Costa Cruises Fr $1,499 Expedia
- Book 5-Star Radisson Blu Senator , Lubeck Fr $221+/Nt — $221 Expedia
- See Europe on the Costa Pacifica (Costa Cruises)! Fr $1,299 — $1,299 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I've been daydreaming about Germany, and am trying to come up with a 3-4 day itinerary for a way future summer trip to the Rhine River region, assuming all public transportation (no car rental)
Day 1: Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more