- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Warnemünde is a quaint seaside resort town with the best hotels and restaurants in the area, as well as 20 km (12 mi) of beautiful white-sand beach. It's been a popular summer getaway for families in eastern Germany for years.
There is little to do in Warnemünde except relax, and the town excels brilliantly at that. However, Warnemünde is a major cruise ship terminal. Whenever there is more than one ship at dock, the town explodes with a county fair-like atmosphere, where shops and restaurants stay open until the ships leave at midnight. The city celebrates the dreifache Anlauf, when three ships dock simultaneously, with fireworks.
Warnemünde at a Glance
Elsewhere in Schleswig-Holstein and the Baltic Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Ring Birke: $137 & Up in May Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Lubeck this May Fr $106+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- See Kiel with MSC Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $999 Expedia
- Book in Lubeck: Save this May Fr $221+/Nt — $221 Expedia
- 10 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Kiel Fr $1,499 — $1,499 Expedia