- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Bad Tölz's new town, dating from the mid-19th century, sprang up with the discovery of iodine-laden springs, which allowed the locals to call their town Bad (bath or spa) Tölz. You can take the waters, either by drinking a cupful from the local springs or going all the way with a full course of health treatments at a specially equipped hotel. If you can, visit on a Friday morning when a farmers' market stretches along the main street to the Isar River and on the Jungmayr-Fritzplatz.
This town clings to its ancient customs more tightly than any other Bavarian community. It is not uncommon to see people wearing traditional clothing as their daily dress. If you're in Bad Tölz on November 6, you'll witness one of the most colorful traditions of the Bavarian Alpine area: the Leonhardiritt equestrian procession, which marks the anniversary of the death in 559 of St. Leonhard of Noblac, the patron saint of animals, specifically horses. The procession ends north of town at an 18th-century chapel on the Kalvarienberg, above the Isar River.
Bad Tölz at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Bavarian Alps
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Munich From 585 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 4-Star TRYP Muenchen City Center Fr $205+/Nt Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Modern in May: $170 & Up Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Munich Fr $1653 Expedia
- See Munich & More: 8 Nts Aboard Avalon Waterways Fr $2,669 Expedia