The Black Forest Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Extraordinary regional specialties: Dig into Black Forest cake, Schwarzwald ham (only authentic if smoked over pinecones), and the incredible Tannen-Zäpfle Pilsner from the Rothaus Brewery.
Freiburg Münster: One of the most beautiful sandstone churches in southern Germany, the Cathedral of Freiburg survived the war unscathed. The view from the bell tower is stunning.
Going cuckoo: Look for a cuckoo clock from Triberg (or a nice watch from Pforzheim).
Healing waters: More than 30 spas with a wide range of treatments await to make visitors feel whole again, but nothing beats the 3½-hour session at the Friedrichsbad in Baden-Baden.
Libations at Kaiserstuhl: Enjoy a local wine in the wine-maker's yard or cellar with Black Forest ham and dark bread. It's especially nice when the grapes are being harvested.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Stuttgart Fr $129+/Nt Save with Expedia, $92/night less
- Stuttgart Savings! Book at Relexa Wald Schatten Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Save in Stuttgart: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Stuttgart Savings! Book at Arcotel Camino Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Stuttgart Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Save with Expedia, $92/night less