- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The main autobahns are the A-5 (Frankfurt-Karlsruhe-Basel), which runs through the Rhine Valley along the western length of the Black Forest; A-81 (Stuttgart-Bodensee) in the east; and A-8 (Karlsruhe-Stuttgart) in the north. Good two-lane highways crisscross the entire region. B-3 runs parallel to A-5 and follows the Baden Wine Road. Traffic jams on weekends and holidays are not uncommon. Taking the side roads might not save time, but they are a lot more interesting. The Schwarzwald-Hochstrasse is one of the area's most scenic (but also most trafficked) routes, running from Freudenstadt to Baden-Baden. The region's tourist office has mapped out thematic driving routes: the Valley Road, the Spa Road, the Baden Wine Road, the Asparagus Road, and the Clock Road. Most points along these routes can also be reached by train or bus.
Freiburg, the region's major city, is 275 km (170 mi) south of Frankfurt and 410 km (254 mi) west of Munich.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Arcotel Camino Fr $156+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Holiday Inn Stuttgart 3 Nts in May Fr $153+/Nt Expedia
- Stuttgart Savings! Book at Flora Moehringen Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Book 4-Star TOP Messe Europe Fr $145+/Nt — $145 Expedia
- Stuttgart Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Save with Expedia, $21/night less