- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Karlsruhe, Baden-Baden, and Freiburg are served by fast ICE trains zipping between Frankfurt-am-Main and Basel in Switzerland. Regional express trains also link these hubs with many other places locally, including Freudenstadt, Titisee, and, in particular, the spectacular climb from Baden-Baden to Triberg, one of the highest railways in Germany.
Local lines connect most of the smaller towns. Two east-west routes—the Schwarzwaldbahn (Black Forest Railway) and the Höllental Railway—are among the most spectacular in the country. Details are available from Deutsche Bahn.
Deutsche Bahn (11861. www.bahn.de.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $75 & Up: Golden Leaf Zuffenhausen 3.5-Star Hotel in Stuttgart Expedia
- Stuttgart Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at arcona MO. Fr $148+/Nt Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Special deal: 4.5-Star Top Kongress Europe Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Expedia
- Book 4.5-Star Pullman Fontana Stuttgart Fr $132+/Nt — $132 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Mercure Stuttgart Airport Messe Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia