- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The Brothers Grimm lived in Kassel, their mother's hometown, as teenagers, and also worked there as librarians at the court of the king of Westphalia, Jerome Bonaparte (Napoléon's youngest brother), and for the elector of Kassel. In their researching of stories and legends, their best source was not books but storyteller Dorothea Viehmann, who was born in the Knallhütte tavern, which is still in business in nearby Baunatal.
Much of Kassel was destroyed in World War II, and the city was rebuilt with little regard for its architectural history. The city's museums and the beautiful Schloss Wilhelmshöhe and Schlosspark, however, are well worth a day or two of exploration.
Kassel at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Fairy-Tale Road
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $192 & Up: Cheap Bremen Stay Hotels.com
- Bremen Savings! Book at Mercure Hanseatic Bremen Fr $69+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Save $$ in Bremen: Book Fr $89+/Nt — $89 Hotels.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Atlantic Airport Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia
- $89 & Up: Cheap Bremen Stay — $89 Hotels.com