- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Steinau an der Strasse
The little town of Steinau—full name Steinau an der Strasse (Steinau "on the road," referring to an old trade route between Frankfurt and Leipzig)—had a formative influence on the Brothers Grimm. They were preschoolers on arrival and under age 12 when they left after their father's untimely death.
Steinau dates from the 13th century, and is typical of villages in the region. Marvelously preserved half-timber houses are set along cobblestone streets; an imposing castle bristles with towers and turrets. In its woodsy surroundings you can well imagine encountering Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, or Hansel and Gretel. A major street is named after the brothers; the building where they lived is now known as the Brothers Grimm House.
Steinau an der Strasse at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Fairy-Tale Road
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bremen Savings! Book at Mercure Hanseatic Bremen Fr $69+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- $135 & Up: Cheap Bremen Stay Save with Hotels.com, $40/night less
- Save at 4-Star Landgut Horn: $145 & Up in May — $145 Expedia
- 3-Star Star Inn Bremen Columbus Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Hotels.com
- Courtyard by Marriott Bremen in May: $158 & Up — $158 Expedia