The Pfalz and Rhine Terrace Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Wine: German Rieslings are some of the most versatile white wines in the world—on their own or with food. For many, discovering Germany's drier-style wines is a revelation.
Festivals: Wine is a great excuse for merrymaking, and there are scores of wine festivals throughout the region. The biggest and best is the Bad Dürkheimer Wurstmarkt in the town of Bad Dürkheim, which features a wine barrel the size of a building.
Pfälzerwald: The Palatinate Forest is a paradise for hiking and cycling. Even a brief walk under the beautiful pine and chestnut trees is relaxing and refreshing.
Castles: Burg Trifels and Schloss Villa Ludwigshöhe are a contrast in style, inside and out. Both are wonderful settings for concerts.
Cathedrals: The cathedrals in Speyer, Worms, and Mainz are the finest examples of grand-scale Rhenish Romanesque architecture in Germany.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Frankfurt From 565 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special deal: 5-Star Steigenberger Airport Fr $139+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Save in Frankfurt: Book 3 Nts in May at City Frankfurt Fr $72+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Frankfurt Fr $1003 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 6 Nt Cruise! Viking River Cruises Fr $1,748 Expedia